Another unjust sentence
Today, July 16, 2021, the Belarusian regime continued repressive actions against civil society in Belarus: another unjust sentence was handed down to representatives of the Member organization of Belarusian National Youth Council “RADA” – “Belarusian Students’ Association”.
On November 12, 2020, representatives of the State Security Committee of the Republic of Belarus launched an investigation against supporters of the BSA student organization, as well as other active students. The organization’s office, as well as the apartments and dormitories of the young people were searched. As a result their digital devices, computers, mobile phones and documents were confiscated. In total 12 people were detained and arrested in this case: 10 students, 1 teacher and 1 graduate – a member of the Coordinating Council.
The Belarusian National Youth Council “RADA” previously made two statements in connection with the criminal persecution of students and political repression of citizens of the Republic of Belarus (see 19.11.2020 and 13.05.2021).
The Belarusian regime continues to grossly and purposefully violate existing norms and principles of Belarusian law, and still does not recognize the priority of the principles of international law.
In this regard, we are very outraged by this unjust sentence and draw attention to the absence of any dialogue with civil society in Belarus. As can be seen from the case file, the actions of all the accused were peaceful, non-violent and had no illegal nature. We also take the position that all participants in this “student case” are political prisoners.
In this regard, we:
- Demand the immediate release of all political prisoners, as well as a fair and independent trial of all those accused in the so-called “student case”;
- Strongly urge and call on the Belarusian authorities to cease repressive actions against their citizens and to conduct an immediate investigation of all cases of gross and unprecedented human rights violations in the Republic of Belarus;
- Call on the international community to provide all possible support to the participants of this unjust sentence, as well as to their relatives;
- Call on all concerned people to show their solidarity with the victims of this unjust sentence, their families, and to take part in the activities carried out by the BSA in their support;
- Call on all national and international youth organizations to show solidarity with every person in the “student cause” and to develop a plan to support the member organization of the Belarusian National Youth Council “RADA” – “Belarusian Students’ Association”.